Journeys For Individuals
Recent Blog Posts
A unique perspective from a past Border Witness participant. More than a trip to Tucson, ours was a pilgrimage to the Mexican American border, and an experience that has shaken me to my core. One day after coming back from the desert walk, we went to a...read more
The UUCSJ office does not feel like an office. Perhaps it is better described as a plant haven with desks, or a living room/library hybrid. A splotch of green adorns every windowsill and table. Colorful photographs, posters, and cloth hang on the walls. A bilingual...read more
What is an immersion journey?
- a group of people traveling together to have a first-hand experience of both an injustice and the ways people affected are responding to the injustice.
- a powerful learning experience: UUCSJ’s Study Guide offers a spiritually grounded framework for participants to work through questions of power and privilege before traveling.
- designed to inspire and sustain action for social change. After this kind of boundary-crossing experience, we hope participants return home ready to take action!
Who can register?
- Anyone interested in exploring the intersections of spirituality and social justice. You don’t have to be a Unitarian Universalist!
- Open enrollment immersion journeys are open to high school aged youth, young adults (18-35), and adults of all ages
- We also have journeys specifically for religious professionals.
What journeys can I go on as an individual?
- Any journey listed as open enrollment on our calendar is designed for individuals rather than a congregational group.
- We run open enrollment programs to the Arizona border, Houston, West Virginia, Nicaragua and New Orleans. We may also create other open enrollment programs in the future. Please view our calendar or contact us to learn more.
- Individual participants are welcome to apply to join congregational journeys, but space is not guaranteed. Once we receive your application, we will ask the congregational leadership if they have space you.
Upcoming Open Enrollment Journeys
How much does it cost?
Prices for each participant will depend on the journey destination and duration. There is also generous financial aid available for each program based on need and given out on a first come first served basis. If you would like to be considered, please fill out the financial aid section on the appropriate registration form.
This trip reinforced how faith and community connection can sustain a person when faced with adversity and give one the strength to fight for justice.Laura Wagner
For a brief moment in the fall of 2014 I had the eye-opening experience that was UUCSJ’s Border Witness program, in Arizona and Mexico. It wasn’t that immigration injustice had escaped my awareness until then, but rather that the enormity of the injustice was difficult to comprehend until I was at close range. That experience has stayed with me these two years since, during which the world has seen the most significant human migration in history.Rev. Carolyn Patierno