Who is BorderLinks?
BorderLinks is UUCSJ’s main partner for this immersion journey program; it is a binational, nonprofit educational organization at the U.S.-Mexico border. The organization focuses on cross-border relationship-building opportunities, immigration issues, community formation and development, and social justice in the borderlands between Mexico, the United States, and beyond.
Why go to the border?
- Amid rising xenophobia and threats against basic human rights, UUCSJ’s “Sanctuary and Solidarity” journey offers a timely chance to deepen your capacity to practice effective solidarity.
- Through a visit to the border wall, meetings with grassroots partners, listening to migrants tell their stories, and walking the dangerous desert paths that so many risk while crossing the border, you will experience the depth of the immigration crisis firsthand.
- You’ll return home inspired and prepared to join emerging campaigns to renew, expand, and strengthen “sanctuary” in the time to come.
Who can go on a BorderLinks program?
UUCSJ programs are also open to participants from any background who are interested in exploring the connection between spirituality and social justice. Individuals are welcome to register for any upcoming trip to the border, and we will contact the leader of the congregation to see if they are open to have additional participants.
If your congregation or youth group is interested in organizing a trip to the border, please contact Gina Collignon, firstname.lastname@example.org.
How much does a border trip cost?
- Adult journeys generally cost between $800 and $1,100 per person
- Youth journeys generally cost between $700 and $1,000 per person
Financial aid is available for up to 50% of program costs for adults and 75% of program costs for youth based on need and is awarded on a first come, first serve basis. Please fill out the financial aid request section of the program application.
For additional fundraising we recommend that participants use Faithify, the Unitarian Universalist crowd funding website, which can help either congregations or individuals raise money to cover their costs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Please note this itinerary may change from group to group, and for youth groups we will work to customize the itinerary to the group’s needs and interests.