Activate Youth Justice JourneysLive Your Values
Upcoming Activate Journeys
Live Facebook Feed
The Activate programs have become a very important part of my development in every way. I am so grateful for the opportunities provided.
— Jenna, Activate Boston 2016
My UUCSJ experience last summer was my favorite week of my entire summer.
– Isak, Activate Boston 2016
Activate Journeys Offer Youth:
- A variety of options for hands-on service and activism
- Having fun and forging connections with teens from around the country
- An opportunity for a “boundary-crossing” experience
- Introduction to questions of power and privilege
- An opportunity to gain a deeper understanding of domestic and global justice issues
- The chance to deepen bonds with each other and form relationships with local communities
- Multi-leveled growth and development (socially, spiritually, politically, etc.)
- Inspiration and motivation to engage with social justice issue in their home communities
— Current Programs —
All programs are customizable for your group’s learning needs.
PLEASE NOTE: March through July are very popular travel times, and journey availability may be extremely limited
Scheduling an Activate Journey
UUCSJ will schedule open enrollment Activate Journeys throughout the year (scroll down the page for current dates); however, if you wish to schedule a journey with your youth group, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Your email should include the following information:
- Information about your group: location, congregation (if applicable), number of potential participants, age range
- Which journey(s) the group is interested in and why
- Potential travel dates
Please note: March through July are very popular times and journey availability may be extremely limited.
If you’re interested in organizing an activate in your area, you should also email email@example.com.
Journeys typically run for a minimum of four days, and a maximum of seven days for domestic travel (longer for international travel). Summer is the most popular time for youth travel, so we strongly recommend groups reach out to UUCSJ at least six months in advance of the proposed travel dates.
For youth groups wishing to travel together, a non-refundable deposit of $1,000 (10-participant minimum) is required to reserve specific dates.
Groups only pay for the direct cost of each program. UUCSJ does not receive any portion of the participant fees.
The costs of journeys vary based on the destination and length of the program. Refer to individual destination pages for more information. UUCSJ program costs do not include travel to and from the journey location.
Need-based financial aid options may be available.
Youth Blog Posts
The UU College of Social Justice was jointly founded in the summer of 2012 by the UUA and UUSC, so this year we are celebrating a big anniversary. We are grateful for all of our alumni and supporters who have made our work possible! In honor of of all of you and our...
Equipping Youth Leaders to Change the World In August, UUCSJ wrapped up a full summer of youth programming with Activate Climate Justice, which brought a passionate group of young climate justice leaders together to Boston. Over the course of the week, the group went...
Deva Jones, Senior Associate for Service-Learning and Volunteer Placements, led a group of youth on one of UUCSJ's newest programs Activate Florida: Solidarity with Migrant Farmworkers this April. To learn more about this program visit https://uucsj.org/florida/ What...