UUCSJ has currently paused its immersion journey programming due to the ongoing pandemic and the risks to participants and partners.
The website will be updated once program recruitment begins.
Ready to Plan a Journey?
When you’re ready to start the process to plan a journey, click the button below to send us a message!
Journeys take participants on boundary-crossing experiences to witness & learn about widespread injustices from impacted individuals and communities
People are the experts of their own lives and we have much to learn from the glimpses into their experience they offer us on our immersion learning journeys. When we are immersed in relationships and experiences that allow us to hear people’s stories first hand, when we directly encounter their struggles and victories, and when we share collective experiences and our common aspirations for justice, we have not simply learned something — we can also become transformed in the process.
Journeys are open to anyone of any religious affiliation (or none at all) interested in exploring the intersections of spirituality and social justice issues.
We offer journeys specifically tailored for youth between 14 and 18 years old, adults of all ages, and religious professionals.
No two journeys are the same – Journeys are customized based on age (youth and adults) and experience of participants.
- Traveling as a group can be a powerful experience. Participants don’t just travel together – they also prepare, learn and think about how to integrate the experience all together. Once home, participants can share their experience with the rest of their community and help deepen their commitment to justice work
- Most journeys require a minimum of 10 participants and can approximately 20 participants, including group leaders.
- A $1,000 non-refundable deposit is required to hold specific dates for groups. Total cost depends on the journey destination and duration.
- School holiday breaks and summer months are the busiest times for UUCSJ journeys. Scheduling far in advance increases a group’s chances that their first-choice dates will be open and available.
If you are not connected to a group and would like to join an immersion journey, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Occasionally UUCSJ organizes journeys made up of individual travellers (what we call “open enrollment journeys”); however, 99% of our journeys are scheduled by groups. Groups may be open to outside participants; however space is not guaranteed.
- Throughout the year, UUCSJ organizes journeys specifically for clergy, seminary students and religious educators recognizing that our religious leaders carry great power to galvanize our congregations and communities toward more effective and spiritually grounded action for justice. UUCSJ programs for religious leaders offer powerful insights into some of the social justice issues that most trouble our congregations and our ministries.
- In many cases, seminary students can earn course credit for participating in our immersion journeys; journeys may be linked to specific seminary courses in such cases.
- To stay up to date on immersion journeys for religious professionals, follow us on Instagram, check our Calendar page, and make sure you’re signed up to receive our newsletters.
Frequently Asked Questions
*How many people can be in my journey group?
UUCSJ requires a minimum of 10 participants, including group leaders (we are all learning!). The maximum varies by program, but journey groups typically fall between 10 and 18 participants.
*Do you offer financial aid or scholarships?
Yes, there is generous financial aid available for journeys based on need, and is given out on a first-come first-served basis. If you are joining a journey and would like to be considered for financial aid, please fill out the appropriate section on the registration form and a representative from UUCSJ will get back to you with more information.
*My group wants to go on an immersion journey. What do I do now?
Great! Your first step is to contact us at email@example.com or (617) 301-4347 and our amazing staff will start you on the right path. Please be sure to have multiple travel date options in mind as UUCSJ partners have varying availability. UUCSJ requires a minimum of FOUR months of planning ahead of a journey.
*Can UUCSJ organize immersion journeys to other locations?
Immersion journeys are done with organizations that have deep partnerships with UUCSJ. Months of planning and coordination go into the development of the immersion journeys UUCSJ currently offers to ensure both partner organizations AND participants benefit from each experience. UUCSJ does not have the capacity to organize immersion journeys outside of the current offerings.